The Salvation Army - Winton
7 Dejoux Rd, Winton 9720 Ph 03 236 0928
Start/Finish Mavora Lakes camping area.
Saturday 6 April, 2019, registration from 9am, briefing 9.45am, start 10am, end 4pm, prizegiving 4.30pm. Kids Race at 12noon.
OneStaff Lap The Lake has been designed for runners/walkers of all abilities. The course is just over 10km long, and relatively flat, there are some small ups and downs along the track. The course follows the road south from the Mavora Lakes camping area, before crossing the river at the swingbridge returning to the camp area via the track on the opposite side of the lake.
One Staff Lap The Lake is back for it's 6th year with our run/walk event, 6 hours lapping the stunning South Mavora Lake. Open to teams and individuals. Take on the challenge to lap the lake as many times as you can in 6 hours, or do just a single lap.
Sections include team relay, single, double lap, or the 6 hour solo. There is also a kids race, this will be around the camping area below North Lake, approx 2.5km.
While not running/walking there will be some entertainment and activities for you and the kids. Including Laser Tag for the kids. We really want it to be a great family day out enjoying this stunning part of creation.
Early Bird Prize - enter and pay before the end of 28 Feb to be in the draw to win one of two early bird prizes kindly donated PowerNet. 1x Male Jack Wolfskin High Mountain Trail jacket and 1 x Female Jack Wolfskin Tongari jacket. .
Number are capped at 300 adults, 100 kids.
1. Runners/walkers must display team numbers at all times – teams need to swap number at start/finish line
2. Teams will run in relay format, with change over at the start/finish line. Max 6 runners per team.
3. Follow directions of all race official.
4. Please make sure you look after this area, removing all rubbish, and respective the environment, and ensure you don’t spread didymo by checking, cleaning and drying gear between waterways (See stop the spread of didymo for more info)
5. Runners/walkers should walk across both swingbridges, ensure that max numbers are not exceeded on the bridges. Please cross quickly and exit as soon as possible.
6. A cut off will be put in place 3.30pm at the start/finish line, 3.45pm at the check point at the bottom of the lake, this will ensure all runners are back in time for the prize giving.
7. Min age 12 for team event, 18 for Individual 6 hour, open age for single lap, but under 12’s to have adult supervision.
8. Walkers please give way to runners.
9. No prams or buggies.
10. Half laps will be counted on the final lap for team and solo 6 hour runners.
– This event runs on a public road as well as a clearly marked DOC track, many hazards exist, please watch your footing, and be aware of roots, overhanging branches , ruts etc…. - The road is open! Run on the side of the road, facing oncoming traffic, . Cars will be driving up and down.
– Swingbridges – don’t enter the bridge if the max. number of people permitted is exceeded.
– As with any outdoor event the weather can change quickly, be prepared with sunblock/hat and ensure good hydration if it weather is hot and sunny, and dress appropriately in the event of poor weather.
Note for team runners you will have plenty of time to enjoy the area while not running, and there is limited shelter, be prepared.
– If you come across a participant who is hurt, please help them, let us know and we will compensate you for the time lost. Notify the closest official (there will be someone every 2-3 km on the track) – If you have children with you, ensure you keep a good eye on them, lakes, rivers, and bush are areas that kids love to explore, but you will need to supervise them to ensure they do so safely. Your children are your responsibility during the day.
– There is no compulsory gear for this event, but please dress to the conditions, we recommend having a thermal layer, sun hat, beanie, and rain jacket handy. Good shoes are also recommended.
– Min age 12 for team event single lap, 18 for Individual 6 hr. Double Lap 16. Kids race open to age up to 12.
Food and Drink
Drink stations at the start/finish and bottom of the lake will provide water. All other nutrition and hydration requirements are runners own responsibility. A sausage sizzle and Coffee will be on sale at the start/finish area.
Or bring a picnic/bbq of your own.
Will be available at the start/finish line and check point at the bottom of the lake.
Toilets are available at the camping area and at the bottom check point.
Supporters are welcome on the course, please keep the track clear for the participants, especially the swingbridges. If driving please drive with extreme care and look out for runners/walkers. There will also be plenty happening at start/finish line.
Please make sure you park in parking areas, and not on the grass areas which can be damaged.
|Early Bird - Till 28 Feb||Standard – 1 March to 31 March||Late Entries 1 April to 6 April|
|High School Team||$75||$100||$125|
|Individual – 6 Hour||$50||$70||$90|
|Individual – 1 Lap||$20||$30||$40|
|Individual – 2 Lap||$40||$50||$60|
Pre/Post Run Communication
Please check your emails on a regular basis as all updates and communication will be via email, posts will also be made on the event facebook page
Individual Mens & Womens 6hr
Single Lap Mens and Womens
Double Lap Mens and Womens
Kids Race – Boys and Girls
1st Team Overall
Trophies will be given for each of catergory.
(if teams share the number of completed laps, winner will be based on time of completing the final lap/half lap)
Spot prizes – will be given out at prizegiving.
Withdrawals before 10 March 2019 will receive a 75% refund. Withdrawals from 11 March 2019 will receive no refund. If ‘Lap The Lake’ is cancelled due to weather conditions or other circumstances there will be no refund. However a 50% credit can be used towards entry in 2020.
All competitors compete at their own risk and waive liability against the race organisers (The Salvation Army Winton). They must attend and listen to the race briefing prior to the race start and obey all instructions given.
Check back soon for a list of prizes on offer.
Trophies will be given for each of catergory.
Early Bird Prize - enter and pay before the end of 28 Feb to be in the draw for the earlu bird prize (to be confirmed soon) and your entry fee refunded.
Details coming soon
We think we've had the best competitors a race could ask for, lots of fun, encouragement and support for us as event organiser and for other competitors. We've also seen people really pushing themselves, reaching personal goals and the satisfaction that comes with knowing you did it. We also love seeing whole families come up and enjoy a stunning part of creation together. Here's a few comments from past competitors.
# Photos and quotes are not connected.
"This was the hardest thing I've ever done but enjoyed the whole thing. We will be back next year for sure"
Awesome event with great potential for the future! it hs it all.... beautiful scenery and a course suitable for all, from "family fun single lappers" to "ultra nutters"
"Had a blast today! Totally pushed myself further than I expected. Definatly keen to improve for next year"
"Loved it, loads of fun, and something a little different. Good mental discipline to keep pushing yourself back out on to the course. Just wish I hadnt given up after 3 grrr"
"My son really enjoyed the event. Already looking forward to next year. Congrats team, awesome job organising such a great event!"
This is a fun event, great to be able to see people along the way. We took the whole family and the kids enjoyed fishing and kayaking while I ran...Mavoura is such a great place!
Photos from previous events can be found on our facebook page
Fastest Lap Male - Dwight Grieve from Te Anua in 41mins, 24 secs. 2016
Fastest Lap Female - Emma Timmis in 56mins 38 secs, in 2017. Emma went on to win the 6 hour event, with the all time record completing 6 laps in 6 hours and 6 secs. Check out Emmas Blog about the race at http://www.emmatimmis.com/blog/lap-the-lake-6-hour-race
Most Laps 6hr solo - Male - Chris Rainy 5 laps in 5:17:30. 2016
Most Laps 6hr Sole - Female - Emma Timmis 6 laps in 6 hours 6 secs, Check out Emmas Blog about the race at http://www.emmatimmis.com/blog/lap-the-lake-6-hour-race
Most Laps 6hr team - The Expendables clocked up an amazing 7 1/2 laps in 5 hours 53 mins 51 secs in 2017. We think this will be pretty tough to beat, but have heard a rumour about a pretty strong team keen to give it a go, so should make for an exciting finish to the race, especially if the Expendables come back to defend their crown.
Best School Team - Wakatipu High School, finished 8 laps, in 6:02:41, so the offical record shows 7 1/2 laps completed in 2018. A couple of the laps were getting close to the race record for a single lap too.
2018 - Download Results
2017 - Download Results
2016 - Download Results
2015 - Download Results